Friday, February 17, 2012

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies

Growing up, the ultimate treat that my mom could make was fresh, homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies. Back then she used fresh eggs and let us lick the bowl clean afterward. Eww! I've never let my kids do that! As a cookie loving mom myself, I've experimented until I could come up with a recipe that is similarly delicious, but at least a bit healthier than the old version. It was brutal work believe me. My kids haven't forgiven me yet for baking so many batches of cookies!

Beside the eggs, the old version had shortening and only all-purpose flour. My new version cuts out the shortening, and introduces Canola Oil in place of it. I added part White Whole Wheat Flour to give the cookies some fiber. Finally I replaced the fresh eggs with Pasterized Egg Product. After all, who doesn't love to eat cookie dough, I just don't want to risk getting sick from doing it.


                                       
Here is the recipe. Try it and see what you think.

Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/3 cup butter
2/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup pasterized egg product
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1&1/2 cups all purpose flour
1&1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt (I use reduced sodium salt)
1 cup (or more chocolate chips)
other mix ins if desired (chocolate candies, nuts, oatmeal, etc)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large bowl combine the butter, oil, eggs, vanilla and sugars. Add the dry ingredients, and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips, or other mix-ins. Drop by rounded teaspoons on ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Yeild: somewhere around 5 dozen cookies. My kids eat them so fast, I can't keep track.

No comments:

Post a Comment