Friday, February 24, 2012

Easy Whole Wheat Pie Crust

Unlike many bakers, I've never had a dread of making pie crusts. I owe the credit for that to a recipe that my mother taught me to make when I was a young girl. She in turn got it in her junior high cooking class. Of course I've tweaked it just a bit!

Using oil instead of shortening or butter makes this recipe extremely simple to mix up, but it's both healthier than the average pie crust and tasty too! It's my go-to recipe for all pies except those requiring a cookie crust. Changes that I have made are the introduction of wheat flour, using skim milk and substituting canola oil for the original vegetable oil. Try it for your next pie....you'll be glad you did!

Easy Whole Wheat Pie Crust

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
dash salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup canola oil

Combine flours and salt in large bowl. Add in milk and oil and mix with fork until combined. Do not overmix. Divide dough in half and shape into balls. Roll out on floured waxed paper. Bake pie according to recipe directions.

Makes 2 pie crusts

No comments:

Post a Comment