Sunday, September 23, 2012

Cheeseburger Cake

As some of you know, I bake whatever kind of cake my children want for their birthdays, and make them whatever dinner they request. They've taken it as an invitation to stretch my creative cooking talents. Somehow, so far I've been able to meet their challenges.

This year K-boy requested a cheeseburger shaped birthday cake for his 13th birthday. This was prefaced by a giant cheeseburger for dinner. Notice a theme here?



I was proud of the way that the cake turned out, but it really wasn't that difficult to make. I just divided my favorite yellow cake recipe between a cake pan and a pie pan - hence the nice, domed bun shape. For the burger, I baked brownies in a cake pan. A batch each of buttercream and chocolate frosting, with the addition of some food coloring and slivered almonds and the cake burger was complete.

K-boy was happy with his big burger birthday, and I'm pleased to report that there is no sign of teen moodiness yet...well other than manufactured moodiness to tease me.

linking to:  Strut Your Stuff, Super Link Party

17 comments:

  1. You did a great job making a burger cake. I bet your son was happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks terrific and yummy!! Now I kind of want a giant cheeseburger....maybe if I whine enough my honey (who is a wonderful cook!) will make me one?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to cut the giant burger like a cake, but it tasted surprisingly good.

      Delete
  3. What a good mom you are. I love your cheeseburger cake. I consider myself a creative person but I never would have been able to make this. And, this beautiful cake is making me crave some french fries now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was surprisingly easy make. I enjoy creating birthday memories like this for my kids.

      Delete
  4. Love your blog name and I have 3 males in my house who would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! That giant cheeseburger looks yummy and so does that cake! Lucky boy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They did taste good, and were easier than some of the birthday cakes and dinners that my kids have requested over the years.

      Delete
  6. That cake looks awesome! I should have come to you when my 10 year old wanted a cake that looked like a pizza. It wasn't quite as life-like as your burger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so fun! My oldest son would LOVE that!! I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' and share your great ideas at the Saturday link party (runs until Tuesday night...tonight!) I hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE it, Patricia!!!
    Using the almond slices as sesame seeds is a brilliant touch!
    Thanks for sharing with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for linking up on 'Or so she says...', hope to see you again tomorrow for another round of 'Your Great Idea'. www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete