Thursday, April 5, 2012

Carrot Shaped Scones

I still had some buttermilk left over from St. Patrick's Day, and here it is nearly Easter. The idea for making scones that look like carrots popped into my head. The kids and I headed for the kitchen. Using the family scone recipe and a little food coloring, we came up with this.



These were fun for the kids to help with, and quick to make. I served these with a salad for dinner last night. Some bunnies around here were very happy!

Carrot Shaped Scones

1-Make your favorite scone recipe. (See my recipe for Irish Scones, link is below)

2-Divide dough into one large ball and one small ball.

3-Tint the large ball orange, with red and yellow food coloring.

4-Tint the small ball green.

5- Flatten each ball slightly. On a floured surface, use a knife to cut each ball into 12 triangles.

6-Use a knife to mark lines in the orange dough to resemble the ridges on carrots. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.


7-Use a knife to mark lines in the green dough to resemble carrot tops.


8-Place green triangles on cookie sheet above and slightly under each orange triangle. Pinch together slightly.


9-Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from cookie sheet. Serve warm or cool.

http://worstmome.blogspot.com/2012/03/irish-scones.html



Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! My family always gets a kick out of me shaping things we eat to correspond to the current holiday/event :D Found you thru the Mingle With Us hop. Following via GFC. Hope you'll come by and visit sometime!

    Have a great weekend and I look forward to more!
    Erika @ Southern Belle as an Army Wife

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I love this idea! I love scones too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by! I think one of the best parts of being a mom is getting to play with food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I am now a new follower on GFC :)
    I love this idea by the way. I have been focusing on making fun Easter treats for the kids on Sunday but these are perfect for the adults. SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a cute idea for Easter! I love it!

    P.S. thanks for following :) I'm following back! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute!! What a fun idea. We hope you'll be back to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete