Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Last Minute Patchwork Chili

Lately it seems that we have more crazy, busy evenings around here than usual. BadDad and K-boy are taking Jeet-Kune-Do, M-girl has been doubling up her ballet lessons, and then there's the various meetings that just pop up this time of year. The other night, after a busy day, I had to drop K-boy off at his lesson and then try to come up with a quick dinner that would keep until the boys got home.

I had some ground beef thawed, but no rolls made for burgers, and not enough time for meatloaf. A craving for chili hit me, but I didn't have the ingredients for my usual recipe. I scrounged up what I could from the pantry, and came up with this recipe for Patchwork Chili. To my happy surprise, it was delicious and not a spoonful was wasted!


Last Minute Patchwork Chili

1 pound ground beef
l medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 sweet, bell pepper, diced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
6 oz tomato paste
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 package taco seasoning
1/2 package chili seasoning
shredded Cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving

Cook ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic in large pan until no pink remains and vegetables are softened. Drain beef, and add remaining ingredients, except cheese and sour cream. Simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve with cheese and sour cream.

About 8 servings

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious!! And I have everything on-hand, so I'm going to have to try it. Thanks!

    Janelle
    homemadethisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed. Whenever I am at a loss and try to throw something together, it is usually a complete disaster. You are one resourceful lady!

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've had my share of disasters too...I just haven't blogged about those!

      Delete
  3. This sounds great. We love chili. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing beats comfort food! Thanks for hosting.

      Delete