Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hamburger Soup

This delicious soup is based on a recipe that my Aunt Mary shared with my mother many years ago. I grew up eating it. I still make it for my family, with just a few changes to the original recipe. It's quick to put together, and is a hearty, scrumptious meal. Best of all, it makes a nice, big pot of soup so there's sure to be plenty of leftovers!



Hamburger Soup

1 lb. ground beef, or ground turkey
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbsp chopped garlic
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 12 oz can tomato paste
5 or 6 beef bouillon cubes
1 32 oz bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup orzo, or other tiny pasta
1 tbsp Italian seasoning

In large soup pot, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, until beef is no longer pink. Drain fat.

Add 12 cups water, tomatoes, tomato paste, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer.

Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Bring to rolling boil again. Add orzo, mixed vegetables, and seasoning. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often.

Yields about 15 main dish servings.

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love soups and I will have to make this one soon! Found you through Earning my Cape's linky party. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good! I'm imagining some cornbread with it, too. Mmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any kind of bread is great with this soup!

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy!
    Thanks for linking up with my Super Link Party! :-)

    ReplyDelete