Sunday, December 16, 2012

With a Little Child to Guide Them

Wow. What an emotional weekend this has been! I still feel raw inside, hurting for those in Newtown, Connecticut. I can't get past the thought we're all vulnerable to such random violence. I've had to tell my kids about the tragedy. I didn't want to, but I knew that if they didn't hear it from me, they would hear it anyway. Today at mass in fact, our priest spoke about it, and I was thankful that they weren't learning of it for the first time.

An event this sad makes people count their blessings. I know I'm lucky to have my family, my husband and children with me, healthy and whole. I know that I'm lucky to have to worry about all of the mundane details of my daily life as a mother. The alternative would be unbearable.

M-girl was already scheduled to take part in a Christmas concert and pageant at the church today. The children's choir has been practicing carols for months now. We just found out last weekend that she needed a shepherd costume. My little girl and I hastily made it together out of old curtains. The best part was this shepherd's crook that we made from a curtain rod and a candy cane ornament.



She and the other children got up there today, and sang their hearts out. They're fortunate children. The tragedy didn't happen in our community. Yes, they heard a little about it, as much as we adults felt they could handle. To them though, it happened far away.

Their childish voices rose sweetly in song, and for a little while the spirits of all listening, even the adults, rose as well. They sang of the birth of Jesus and the joy that one little baby brought to the world. They sang of events that took place so long ago that still impact us today. They sang of the hope that a Saviour brought to an imperfect world. They sang hope right back into my heart. I think that's what children are meant to do.

linking to:  Pour Your Heart Out

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The whole situation makes me feel like crying every time I think of it. I think the children in our lives are going to play a big part in getting all of us through this sadness.

      Delete
  2. I think that's exactly what children are meant to do :) And the pageant sounds like absolutely the perfect thing for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. Thank God for the innocent faith of children.

      Delete
  3. God bless the children, for they truly do lead us. Sometimes just looking at my little ones is all it takes to make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hope that children give us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have the gift of always believing that the world is good.

      Delete