Monday, February 4, 2013

Healthier Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

I have such an ingrained habit of adapting recipes, that sometimes I don't realize I'm doing it.I tend to substitute healthier ingredients whenever I can. This past weekend, I took a batch of cookies to a family party. When I was asked for the recipe, I replied that they were Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, from a recipe that I found years ago at bettycrocker.com. It makes a delicious, chewy, brownie-like cookie. It was only when I returned home and looked at my version of the recipe that I realized how much I've changed it over time. Here is my take on this delicious cookie.


Healthier Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

3/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1&1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond or mint extract
1 cup pasteurized egg product
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp lower sodium salt
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.

In large bowl, mix oil, cocoa, sugar, and extracts. Add eggs and mix until well combined.

Stir in remaining ingredients, except powdered sugar.

Place powdered sugar in small bowl. Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough into powdered sugar and roll to coat. Place balls about two inched apart on baking sheets.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on wire racks.

Yields about 4 dozen cookies.

* These cookies keep nicely in an airtight container. I often double or triple the recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment