Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I Love a Rainy Day

The thing with the warmer months is that sometimes there are those stretches of beautiful weather. For days or weeks on end it seems a shame to stay indoors and waste the sunshine. I apply copious amounts of sunscreen to my fair skinned children and our front door might as well be revolving, given the constant appearances of neighborhood kids. I hand out ice pops and bandages, find beach towels and bug spray, and do my best to keep track of what child is where at any given time.It's chaos around here, happy, joyous chaos. Sometimes though, I long for some rain.

I'm not talking about a flood or anything, just a good rainy day - an excuse to stay inside for a change (and for the neighborhood kids to keep to their own homes as well). I crave a good, soaking summer rain, that leaves the world refreshed and new, with a touch of coolness to the air, even if it lasts just a little while.



A rainy day when no errands really need to be run, is a perfect time to stay home and bake cookies, or play a board game. It's a time to cuddle up with my kids on the couch and read until my throat is dry. It's a chance to just talk and really, really listen.

If the lights go out, not for too long just for a bit, we dig out the flashlights and sit in the sunroom, watching the storm crash down gloriously on the skylights. Inside, we feel snug and safe. We laugh that it's like camping inside, and it's delicious because it's so different.

For a while, maybe a day or even two, the rain can make us feel isolated but not lonely. We're like a little island of warmth amidst the chilly drops.

Soon the rain will stop, and then the world will come back in as my children run out to meet it. But for a time I've had them here, just us, content together. And my heart is full of joy.

linking to:  Pour Your Heart Out

17 comments:

  1. I do love those days that force us to slow down a little. Though too many of them in a row have a bad effect on us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'd be climbing the walls with too many bad weather days!

      Delete
  2. Those are some of my most favorite days (rainy ones that is) but where I live now, it just rains for weeks on end in the winter time :( I am afraid that it is already beginning LoL The off-and-on rain we have had the last couple of days has been nice though!! Glad you guys got to REALLY enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter is just tough anywhere, I think. Here we get months of snow. I always enjoy the first storm or two, and then I'm eager for spring to come!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE a good rainy day... camping inside is a wonderful way to put it. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's just nice to have an excuse to just stay put sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, lovely post!

    For me, how much I like a rainy day really depends on whether the house is clean or not. It always seems messier and dirtier on rainy days than sunny ones and if there's clutter it's even worse! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had fun writing it! You're right, I enjoy being in my house more when it's clean!

      Delete
  5. I love rain for exactly the reasons you describe. one of my favorite things to do is nap during a summer storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the best! Or when you hear rain on the roof at night, it's so cozy to be snug inside!

      Delete
  6. I love the chance to listen to nature. It will weave a fabulous story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you referred to it as deliciously different. I, too, love the occasional rainy day. It does make us slow down and enjoy the moment, doesn't it. Then, I love jumping in some puddles after the rain has stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The puddle jumping is great too. I love how fresh and green everything looks after a summer rain!

      Delete
  8. We've been having a lot of rainy days here in MO and I am in heaven! Nothing beats a rainy day and a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had quite a drought this year, and we really missed the rain. After months of sun, it finally rained for about ten minutes one day. People all over town came outside to feel it. It was marvelous. I actually got teary watching all of these people so grateful to be in the rain. Basically, I'm with you on loving a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just reading one of the 'Little House' books with my daughter, where it rained after a long draught. I can imagine how emotional that must have been!

      Delete